Well, my second KAL of April started yesterday – Temple of Flora is a mosaic knitting shawl/wrap with an interesting construction, designed by Franklin Habit.
The yarn in this kit is part of the Schoppel crazy/zaurball family of yarns, so the yarn colors are all over the place. This fits with this particular design, but does make for an unpredictable knitting experience. So I got a good start on it yesterday evening, and got a couple of the main pattern repeats done, but there was a problem.
There is nowhere near enough contrast between the two “contrasting color”, and as a result the pattern is nearly invisible. You can see the purl bumps and rows, but nothing else of the design. I tried going a bit father into the ball of contrast yarn, but didn’t find anything much darker at all. After thinking about it overnight, I decided to poke around in my stash and see what I could replace the contrast color with. And came up with the exact amount I need in some old Rowan denim!
Both yarns are 100% cotton, so that was good. But Rowan denim claims to be worsted weight, while the Crazy Cotton is DK. But looking at strands of them together, they look pretty darn close to me. If anything the denim looks thinner than the Crazy Cotton.
So I decided to go for it and see how it worked
The color doesn’t look as ethereal as the first combination, but you can definitely see the pattern. Much better! And the stash saved the day 🙂