Here’s a nifty quiz from Alissa Head at headknits. Check out her blog for knitting, sewing, and much more 🙂
1. Do you think it’s true “if you wore it the first time around, you shouldn’t wear it the second (or third) time around?”
2. Do you believe there is a “first time around” anymore? Have you seen fashion produce anything new lately that you would like to wear?
3. Do you knit things you would never wear just because you want to knit them? Do you gift them afterward?
And here are my answers:
- The short answer to this question is – it depends. If you like it and it’s comfortable, why not wear what you want? Unless you are in a situation where you need to be stylish for your work or whatever, go for it! Many of the silhouettes and colors and so on that looked good on me first time around are still flattering. Not everything – I am heavier now than I was then, but some things. As a poor young person, I did buy a lot of retro/vintage clothing, because that was what was in the thrift shops. Just due to my general body shape, I could pull off 50’s and early 60’s clothing, 20’s and 70’s stuff, not so much. Different fashion eras have body shapes they are better suited to.
- I don’t think there really is a “first time around” anymore. There used to be general styles in a year or a decade. You would know an 80’s look or a 20’s look at a glance. Fashion doesn’t seem to have that type of coherence anymore. It does seem to be just recycling old looks, though the ones I would like to come back in style just refuse to do so!
- I do occasionally knit things I would never wear – last year I was on a technique-learning binge and knit a bunch of stuff that wasn’t going to be for me. Most of it has found new homes 🙂
Want to play along? Feel free to answer in the comments or on your own blog! If you are not a knitter, feel free to answer and ignore the knitting parts 🙂